Do you love crackers, but hate all of the additives and extra fat? It’s time to try something new and exciting: dehydrated crackers. These are the perfect snack for the healthy conscious person, and they’re so simple to prepare that you’ll find yourself making these crackers within 10 minutes of reading this article.
Let’s talk about how to make dehydrated crackers quickly and easily. But first, you’ll need a few ingredients to get started:
Ingredients Need for Dehydrated Crackers
- 2 ½ cup of flour:
- Spelt or
- Kamut or
- Whole wheat or
- 1 cup of yogurt (plain)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 8 tbsp. butter
- Unbleached white flour
If you have all these ingredients, you’ll be able to start making your crackers immediately. Many of these items will be found within your home already, but some of them may not be available, such as flour. Keep in mind that you can use any of the four flour types listed above, and you also the option of using flavored yogurt if you like. We chose plain because our family members all have different tastes and dislikes.
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, it’s time to start the preparation of the crackers themselves. Keep in mind that the preparation will depend on the type of flour that you have available. If you use sprouted flour, the process will be a little bit different in terms of preparation than non-sprouted flour for these crackers.
Sprouted Flour Preparation
You’ll want to follow these steps to prepare your crackers:
- Add sprouted flour, salt, yogurt, baking soda and four tablespoons of butter into a food processor.
- Process the mixture until well blended.
- Add sesame seeds to the blender and hit pulse.
- Place the dough on a flat surface (sprinkling white flour on the surface first), and roll it out with a rolling pin until it is about 1/8”.
- Using a round glass, cut the dough into circles. You can also cut them into squares if you like.
- Using the remaining butter, apply the butter to a cookie sheet and place the crackers on the sheet.
- Melt any remaining butter and brush the melted butter on top of the crackers.
- Bake at 150°F, or place them inside of a food dehydrator.
Once the crackers are dry and crisp, they’re ready to be taken out of the oven or dehydrator, and can be eaten once they’re cooled.
Non-sprouted Flour Preparation
Non-sprouted flour will require a much longer preparation. You’ll be following the same steps above, but first you need to mix the flour and yogurt together, and leave them in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours.
Once this is completed, you will place the soaked flour into the food processor along with salt, baking powder, and 4 tablespoons of butter. Use the pulse function to blend until smooth.
The rest of the steps are exactly the same, and you’ll be able to enjoy delicious dehydrated crackers without having to pay a high cost in the process.
Don’t be afraid to change up the recipes to get your desired taste. Many people add onion seeds or various spices into their mixture for a great taste. You can even put a hint of mint or peppermint into the mixture to get the perfect holiday taste.